Educational progression, transitions and outcomes
Understanding the recruitment and selection of postgraduate research students (HEFCE, 2014)
CRAC and Vitae, supported by the International Centre for Guidance Studies at the University of Derby, undertake research for HEFCE to build a picture, from an HE institutional perspective, of how postgraduate research (PGR) students in England, are recruited and selected, and their role in the HE research base.
- The processes used by English HEIs to recruit UK and international PGR students to their doctoral programmes, as well as perspectives on the demand for PGR study.
- How HEIs attempt to identify the ‘best' students aspiring to undertake postgraduate research and select them.
- What do HEIs seek in terms of candidates' prior learning, attainment or experience, and what are the barriers for prospective PGR students to overcome?
- How HEIs align the activity of their PGR students with their strategic research mission.
- The implications for the sustainability of postgraduate research provision and the role of its current funding arrangements.